Thursday 31 May 2012

Talking Teacups

Teacups talk to me...they tell stories and send sweet images of tranquil tea drinking times into my thoughts. They tell me to buy them, they tell me that they will get along nicely with my existing collection, and they tell me my friends and I will sip happily from them, indulging in good times with warm tea filled bellies. Trouble is I had to tell my teacups something harsh but necessary the other day and reveal it was time to let a few of them go.

The collection got a bit out of control last year when I was organising a High Tea event for a Cancer fundraiser. All the sudden I needed to increase the quantity of my teacup stash and took on the task quite hastily. During this episode of frantic teacup sourcing a few ugly ducklings made their way into my collection and well they just had to go! I'm sure Mr. Beatnik does not mind one little bit that a few pieces of crockery that are taking over the house have been sent on their way. Me either as it is creating sufficient space
 for more quality teacups that will talk their way into my home in the future!

There's just something truly special about sipping from a beautiful teacup don't you think? It just adds to the peaceful experience of the ritual. Even if I am sporting crazy bed hair, hideous... yet warm bed socks and the Baby Beatniks are biffing cereal at each other at the breakfast table, I possess a sense of calm and carry a ladylike posture prompted by a gorgeous teacup in hand.

Did I just waffle on about teacups for three paragraphs?

Anyway, the High Tea was fun to style and I had a fab time collecting treasures from op shops and elsewhere to team up with my vintage wares for the table setting. There were lots of posies of roses in teapots and other vessels, cakes, sweets and delicious teas from T2. What really was great though, was getting together with the ladies and joining in all their generosity by raising funds for Cancer research.

Chatting to a fellow vintage lover at the 'Waverley Antiques Bazaar' yesterday I learned that there is another being who also has a talking relationship with beautiful, nostalgic and collectable things. So I am not alone in my mental debate and internal conversation with charming vintage objects! Her name is Tamarah and her biz is called 'Shabby Vintage Junk'. Tamarah has a lovely blog and wares to swoon over. I am picking up an antique kitchen cabinet from her this weekend and can't wait to set it up when it arrives.

Another fab biz of the vintage kind which is more teacup related is 'Vintage Lane ~ Crockery and Prop Hire' They have a gorgeous collection of crockery and props for events. I will share a few of their beautifully styled images with you. In a future post I will show off my new cabinet thanks to SVJ and some images of of her wares from Waverley as well. Until then have a squizzo at her blog if you wish or go to the bazaar this weekend and check out all the zillions of delights that are there!


A few keepers from my collection. Second from the top left came from a very special couple that I regarded as Grandparents as a child, that one I will hold on to forever. 

Absolutely gorgeous table setting from 'Vintage Lane ~ Crockery and Prop Hire'

Some of their pretty teacups. They also have a great selection of plates and cutlery.

Cool Cloak Room

Pimms anyone?

Beautifully presented 'Order of Service'

Lovely vintage themed guest book replacement, perfect for writing heartfelt messages to the newly wedded couple.

Yummy homemade favours

Super cute vintage bike display

http://www.cancer.org.au/home.htm 




No comments:

Post a Comment